Banking & Finance
• Although the firm has always been involved in financing on behalf of borrowers, the full fledged banking practice on behalf of banks started in 1982 when Barclays Bank established its shipping branch at Piraeus and our firm was entrusted the overall legal support of the Bank. Our firm now acts as advisor to a number of Greek and foreign banks both on their usual banking activities and in respect of financing.
• The advice on usual banking work relates to bank licensing, opening of bank accounts, corporate documentation of clients, issue of bank guarantees and letters of credit, transfers, taxation of banks, bank secrecy, questions of employment and all other banking activities.
• The work on financing ranges from the structure of the financing (legal aspects) to the organisation of and the attendance at the closing and relates to dollar, Euro or multi-currency loans by a single bank or syndicated loans, revolving facilities, risk participation agreements, assignments of loans etc. The work includes review and comment on term sheets and commitment letters, the preparation of the loan documentation and the securities (guarantees, mortgages, assignments, pledges), review of corporate authorisations of borrowers etc., review of insurances and co-ordination of closing.
• The litigation team of the firm is handling recovery of banks' claims, including enforcement of mortgages on ships or real estate and arrest or prenotation of assets as security. This work is carried out in Greece or world-wide by coordinating action of local counsel.
• In the past decade the firm has been involved and/or advised banks extensively in agreements for foreign exchange transactions, swaps and other derivatives, including related netting issues, factoring, money laundering, consumers' protection, data protection and the transfer of banking business, including the transfer of Barclays Bank branches in Greece.
• So far as Banking clients are concerned, the firm represents or has represented over the years and advised on a regular basis or ad hoc many national and international banks, including Barclays Bank plc., Bayerische Hypo-Und Vereinsbank AG, Emporiki Bank (formerly Commercial Bank of Greece S.A.), Credit Lyonnais Grece, Calyon (formerly Credit Agricole Indosuez), Deutsche Schiffsbank AG, Piraeus Bank, EFG Eurobank Ergasias SA, Omega Bank, Proton Bank, FBB, Aspis Bank, Fortis Bank (the Netherlands), BNP (Switzerland), United Overseas Bank (Geneva), the Bank of America, National Westminster Bank, Hamburgische Landesbank (Hamburg), ANZ (Australia), Atlantic Bank (NewYork), American Express, and the Bank of Scotland.